Friday, October 24, 2014

Review: The Distance Between Us by Kasie West


The Distance Between Us by Kasie West
Publisher: HarperTeen
Publication Date: July 2, 2013
Rating: 4 stars
Source: Kindle copy bought from Amazon

Summary (from Goodreads):

Seventeen-year-old Caymen Meyers studies the rich like her own personal science experiment, and after years of observation she’s pretty sure they’re only good for one thing—spending money on useless stuff, like the porcelain dolls in her mother’s shop.

So when Xander Spence walks into the store to pick up a doll for his grandmother, it only takes one glance for Caymen to figure out he’s oozing rich. Despite his charming ways and that he’s one of the first people who actually gets her, she’s smart enough to know his interest won’t last. Because if there’s one thing she’s learned from her mother’s warnings, it’s that the rich have a short attention span. But Xander keeps coming around, despite her best efforts to scare him off. And much to her dismay, she's beginning to enjoy his company.

She knows her mom can’t find out—she wouldn't approve. She’d much rather Caymen hang out with the local rocker who hasn't been raised by money. But just when Xander’s attention and loyalty are about to convince Caymen that being rich isn't a character flaw, she finds out that money is a much bigger part of their relationship than she’d ever realized. And that Xander’s not the only one she should’ve been worried about.

What I Liked:

Well, that's that. I have read all four of West's novels, all within less than five months of the year. You can read my reviews of On the Fence, Pivot Point, and Split Second. I'm happy to say that I am four for four with West's books! And now I really, really can't wait to read The Fill-In Boyfriend.

This counts as my Pili-pushed read of October! Be sure to read all of my Pili-pushed reviews. I'd been meaning to read it anyway, as it has been on my TBR list for quite some time, but Pili really, well, PUSHED me towards it! Especially since I've binge-read West's other three novels this year. So, The Distance Between Us!

Caymen knows all about rich people, and she doesn't have to do much to really avoid them. After rich-boy Xander comes into her mom's doll store for a doll for his grandmother, her perception of rich people changes, because he keeps coming back. He keeps up his interest, and pretty soon, he and Caymen are seeing each other pretty often. But will he stick around? Is Xander the problem?

Let me start by saying that I really like Caymen. She is so incredibly sarcastic - we would get along so well. Some of the things she says, the fact that she lets nothing go... yeah, we'd either love each other or hate each other (I'm going with the former). I totally related to her on many levels, sarcasm included. The not-so-well-off thing as well. Being scared of letting yourself get close to someone. Yes. Yes yes yes.

I really like Xander. He's rich, he's slightly stuck-up because of it, but I think he's a down-to-earth person (despite being slightly stuck-up). If that makes sense. He's incredibly sweet and considerate and thoughtful and good-looking and physically fit and everything I want in a boy and everything that I know can't come in a complete package and AGH WHY DO BOYS IN REAL LIFE NOT COME WITH ALL OF THESE OPTIONS. It's times like these when fiction makes me sad... because it's not real. Waahh.

I love the dynamic of this book. Caymen and her mother run a struggling doll store, and so Caymen spends most of her free time at the store, helping out. Xander, on the other hand, is super rich, has everything at his fingertips. But it's not like his life is easy peasy squeezy. Both teens are extremely different, but both teens are quite similar.

The conflict of this story does not just deal with Caymen struggling with her feelings for rich-boy Xander. The doll shop has not been doing well at all, and Caymen's mother has not been herself lately. Caymen wonders about her unknown father. Throw in Caymen's best friend's boyfriend's band's lead singer hunting for Caymen's attention, and you've got a pretty interesting set of conflicts.

I love the romance in this book. No love triangle, so don't worry about that, no matter how it sounds in the synopsis. Xander and Caymen are sweet and spicy together, very cat-and-mouse-like. I love the way West crafts the romances in her books.

The ending of this novel is very sweet. I know, I've used the word sweet a lot. I liked the ending, despite the fact that it was a little weird. Not in terms of the romance, but in another aspect of Caymen's life. Nevertheless, I was satisfied with the ending, and this book in general!

What I Did Not Like:

Like I mentioned above, the ending was a bit strange. Not in terms of the romance, don't worry about that. But in another aspect of Caymen's life, I didn't quite like how West resolved the issue. She threw something new at readers, at the charity benefit, towards the end. I almost saw it coming, but I didn't really like how it fit the story. Sort of. 

I liked the ending. I liked how West wrapped things up. But I totally could have seen this book ending differently, in terms of that one aspect. You'll have to have read (or will read) the book to know what I'm talking about. Trying to be vague on purpose! 

Would I Recommend It:

I love West's books. I love the romance in her books especially. Yes, this is contemporary. On the Fence is contemporary as well. I'm not a contemporary person, but I loved both books. West is definitely a go-to contemporary writer for me, in addition to Jennifer Echols, and Sarah Ockler!

Rating:

4 stars. I really liked this book! I'm so glad that Pili really pushed this one on me - I really had every intention of reading it, but she made it shoot up my TBR list! And now I have successfully binged on all of West's books - and rated them no lower than four stars each. Impressive!


Was this review helpful? Please let me know in the comments section!

26 comments:

  1. I haven't read any of her books yet, but I have this one and On the Fence on the wish list.
    I'm not sure how the sarcasm will work for me since that is so not my personality, but the story itself sounds good. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely binge-read all four of West's books! I think my favorite is probably this one. Sooo good! The sarcasm really worked!

      Thank YOU, Sophia!

      Delete
  2. I really loved this book, because Xander was adorable and the chemistry between he and Caymen was SMOKIN'. And the drink-sipping thing *faints*

    I agree about the ending though . . . all that drama and how quickly it was resolved. It was all a bit random to me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loveeee that playful chemistry with the drink-sipping! The romance was so well-written!

      Glad I wasn't the only one who thought so! But it was a great standalone novel :)

      Delete
  3. I love these books. I love West's writing. I can't wait for The Fill-in Boyfriend! Her books make me happy and fuzzy. It was a fast quick ending, you are right. But overall I loved the story so I ignored that! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy and fuzzy indeed! But I agree with what you've said :D

      Delete
  4. I need to read this one! I read the other 3 books, but somehow, I always skip The Distance Between Us even though I'm pretty sure I'll like it. Great review Alyssa!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will! You will you will you will! I hope you do, Anatea. Thank you so much! <3

      Delete
  5. I haven't read any of her books and I don't own any. But after this review that is going to change :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YOU MUST!! They might come on sale with the pending release of The Fill-In Boyfriend. I'll be keeping an eye out for ya!

      Delete
  6. I really need to read this soon. I have loved all of her other books so I just know I am going to love this too.

    Wonderful review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely do so! I was in the same boat, but glad I decided to read this one too!

      Delete
  7. Yay! You finally read it! I'm so happy to hear you enjoyed it, haha. I love Caymen's sarcasm and they were so cute together! I need a real like Xander in my life too, lol.
    I need to read West's paranormal series, I just picked up Split Second, so I have both books now. That means I should read it, right?
    Great review, Alyssa!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish Xander's like this one actually existed :/ I hope you read and enjoy her duology! YOU MUST!!

      Thank you!

      Delete
  8. I've got her ON THE FENCE on my shelf right now but I have yet to read it! And it just moved up my TBR thanks to your review, Alyssa :)
    Book Maniac Reviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You need to read West's books like NOW! Go go go, Kiran!

      Thank YOU!

      Delete
  9. 4 stars! Woooo! I'm so excited to read this one! I'm mad at myself for not having read it sooner! HAHA. Your review has me cracking up- I agree- why do book boys NOT EXIST?! It hardly seems fair! I'm glad Caymen was a fun heroine. I do love sarcasm! Great review chica! I'm really excited for this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY! I'm glad that you liked it! And OMG yeah I need my own Xander. I hope you enjoy this book when you read it, Jess! <3

      Delete
  10. I liked this one (my first West book) better than On the Fence. At least in The Distance Between Us there is more "couple" time and I really liked Caymen's unique sense of humor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooo, yeah, I kind of agree. The sarcasm really did it for me :D

      Delete
  11. YAY! I'm so happy to hear you loved this one!
    I wasn't very keen on the family ending bit myself, I think it added some extra drama that might have been unnecessary...
    But I so loved Caymen and Xander's banter!!
    Lovely review Alyssa!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely enjoyed this book for the sarcasm and banter and romance! It's a great contemporary novel. Thank you for warning me about a "strange" ending though!

      Delete
  12. Awesome review sweetie. <3 I'm so glad you enjoyed this book a lot :D I have seen so many people love it.. and I do want to read it. Truly. Just. Still not really my genre, lol :D But soooon. I hope :) It looks all kinds of cute. <3 thank you for sharing Alyssa :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I felt the same way, Carina! Personally, I think it's West's best novel yet. You're very welcome!

      Delete

I love comments! I will always try and reply to your comments, as well as leave some comment love on your blog! :)

Also, this an award and tag free blog. While I am flattered that you would think of me, I really do not have the time to follow up. Thank you!