Thursday, March 20, 2014

Review: In Bed with Mr. Wrong by Katee Robert


In Bed with Mr. Wrong by Katee Robert
Book One of the Out of Uniform series
Publisher: Brazen
Publication Date: January 13, 2014
Rating: 4 stars
Source: Gifted Kindle book

***Warning: this is an adult book, and for the eyes of mature readers***

Summary (from Goodreads):

The blind date from hell is about to get hotter…

Brianne Nave is never doing her friends a favor again. When they begged her to go on a blind date, she didn't expect someone so perfectly gorgeous. She’s a mousy librarian—totally not in this man’s league. And judging by his odd reaction when she opens the door, he knows it, too.

Air Force Pararescuer Ryan Flannery avoids his hometown at all costs. He’s not thrilled about the date until he’s shocked silent by the prickly little librarian’s sweet curves and kissable lips…and her smart mouth. But then an argument leads to a kiss that spirals out of control. How can two people have so little chemistry outside the bedroom when they fit together so perfectly in it?

When their friends strand them in a cabin to "work things out," Bri’s not sure whether to kill him or put the industrial-sized box of condoms they find to use. Bottom line—Ryan’s career military and hates the tiny town she loves. He’ll leave, just like everyone else in her life. And if she’s foolish enough to give him her heart, he’ll take it with him.

What I Liked:

If there is one thing that you blog readers know about me, it's that I am a drill sergeant when it comes to my review books. Currently, I have spreadsheets and Word documents and calendars to help me keep track of all of my review books, and make sure that I read and review them all. Suffice it to say, I have a schedule, and this book was NOT part of my schedule. But I've been reading so many Young Adult books, and I was really in the mood for a good old romance book!

This book was perfect for me - just when I needed it, Katee Robert/Brazen came through. Bri and Ryan's chemistry and romance were a balm to my aching soul (because you KNOW that Young Adult books are filled with angst-ridden, love-triangle-filled romances). Bri agrees to go on a date with her friend's brother, who happens to be the very sexy Air Force military solider Ryan. The date quickly goes up in flames (heh), because it totally gets started on the wrong foot, but things get steamy fast. Think angry sex.

I love this story. Usually I wouldn't be one for the angry sex type situations, but it was definitely what I needed. The raw passion and chemistry is definitely NOT something that Young Adult literature portrays. Bri and Ryan get under each her's skin quite often, and it's hilarious and amusing to see their reactions to each other.

Initially, Bri thinks that Ryan thinks that she is average, plain, the librarian type. In fact, he DOES call her a mousy librarian, but to get under her skin. That is definitely NOT what he thinks about her at all - he thinks that she is sexy in her own way. I LOVE that Robert decided to feature a heroine like Bri, who is more like the stereotypical librarian type, and I LOVE that Bri is actually not that at all. Bri turns out to be a pretty fierce woman who have and knows her own needs.

I love Ryan! Sexy military guy for the win! I don't know if it's just me, but there is just something about military personnel. Men in uniform? Totally my type. Ryan is a bit of a caveman, but I love his personality, his character, his being. He and Bri are good for each other.

I love the cabin stunt - that was clever, by Bri friends (and Ryan's brother). It definitely helped Bri and Ryan work things out, both physically and emotionally. The cabin scenes were probably my favorite in the book. 

All in all, I definitely needed this book at the time. Raw, sexy times? Perfect. Katee Robert really delivers the romance, the chemistry, and the awesome characters. I really like her romance novels, and I'll definitely be reading more of her romance books. And more of Brazen's books in general!

What I Did Not Like:

As with most of the other adult contemporary romance novels I've read, there's always that THING that keeps the heroine and hero from getting together - and it's usually a "problem" that the heroine has. This story is no except - Bri almost doesn't allow herself to be happy with Ryan. Her reason is kind of stupid, in my opinion - but then, I usually think the reasons are. There has to be a better reason than simple "trust issues". But whatever. I mostly forgive Bri.

Would I Recommend It:

If you're into adult contemporary romance, then yes! I realize that the age level and genre are sooo not for everyone, but for fans of either, you'll enjoy this one! If you're a regular Brazen reader (like me), then you will most likely enjoy this book! I, for one, cannot get enough of these Brazen books. I think I've enjoyed every single I've read.

Rating:

4 stars. What a great romance novel! And excellent timing, too. This was just what I needed at the time, and I'm glad I *finally* read it. Katee Robert is definitely a fantastic romance writer!


Was this review helpful? Please let me know in the comments section!

11 comments:

  1. These types of books, pure and sexy romancy books, just aren't my thing. I thik maybe I have just had really bad luck with the ones that I have chosen. SO maybe I should give this one a shot, since you enjoyed it. It could be the one to change my mind!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Me either in a way - when I want an adult read, I got for historical romances, because I LOVE the historical aspect as well as the romance aspect.

      Delete
  2. I'm not big on those kinda books, but you are right, sometimes they are exactly what we need! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved Brazen books! They are so great especially when you're looking for a break from YA books. I love that they are so short too so you can read them in less than 2 hours.
    This sounds like it was a lot of fun. It's hilarious how her friends force her to go on a blind date with the guy and then lock her in a cabin. That's bound to be fun!
    I'm glad you enjoyed this, Alyssa! Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EXACTLY! I'm glad you understand, Nick! I definitely needed the break. And I love how quickly it goes by. This was so funny! I would recommend it to you. Thank you! ^_^

      Delete
  4. Ah, yes the Thing, which is often a Dark Tragic Secret. But this still sounds fun!
    Jen @ YA Romantics

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES. THAT. But they all have it, so I guess it's okay. It was a very fun book!

      Delete
  5. It's sounds like you found the right read at the right time. :) I can't say I've ever read much adult contemporary romance, and probably won't start now; those I've read tend to have little and/or repetitive plot. But I'm glad you got a break from all the angst and love triangles of YA!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one was a good one! Definitely what I needed at the time. It's either something you enjoy or not. I think they do become repetitive after a while, which is why I don't read too many of them. However, when I do want to read an adult book, it's either Brazen or Avon.

      Me too, Kel - thank you!

      Delete
  6. Well I read your blog post about In bed with Mr. wrong and going to become fan of the novel. I already purchased and Download Mister Tonight PDF eBook a romance novel by Kendall Ryan. I completed my half of novel and after finishing the novel I will purchase in bed with Mr. Wrong.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! I will always try and reply to your comments, as well as leave some comment love on your blog! :)

Also, this an award and tag free blog. While I am flattered that you would think of me, I really do not have the time to follow up. Thank you!